Easy Black Bean Soup
This Easy Black Bean Soup is zesty, filling, and ready in just 30 minutes. Loaded with black beans, spices, and lots of flavor, this simple soup serves as a hearty main dish and is perfect for a meatless entree!
I consider myself to be well-rounded when it comes to food. I’m not really a picky eater, or at least I think so. Sure, there are certain foods that I won’t touch with a ten foot pole (I’m looking at you coleslaw, cottage cheese, cucumbers, celery, and potato salads). But, for the most part, I will try everything and like most of it, too.
So, it’s kind of strange to me that the first time I had black bean soup was about two years ago at a Mexican restaurant.
Now, I love black beans. Especially in this Black Bean Taco Quinoa Skillet, that Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowl, and this Sweet Potato Chili Pasta. But, in a soup? For some reason, I had never had it before! Strange, especially for a food blogger, right?
I was a little skeptical to try it, but once I did, I was hooked. And ever since then, I’ve been a black bean soup connoisseur. I’ve been on the hunt for black bean soups. Some I like, some were ok, and some weren’t worth having again. But, nevertheless, I still enjoyed them all.
So, it’s time for me to share this Easy Black Bean Soup! This creamy black bean soup is zesty, filling, and ready in just 30 minutes. Loaded with black beans, spices, and lots of flavor, this simple soup serves as a hearty main dish and is perfect for a meatless entree!
I will admit that I researched a lot of black bean soup recipes and had my fair share of recipe fails when trying to make this a 30 minute meal. Most black bean soups that I found were either made in the slow cooker or took more than 45 minutes to make. Fine if you have the time, but since we’re talking about 30 minute recipes today, that just wasn’t going to cut it.
After some trial and error, I finally perfected this black bean soup from scratch. It’s loaded with flavor and packed with deliciousness. The creamy texture, while still keeping some of the beans and veggies intact, makes this soup extra special.
Ingredients for Easy Black Bean Soup
I made this black bean soup with canned beans to save some time. Here’s what else you’ll need for this simple recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Chili powder and cumin
- Black beans
- Lime juice
How to Make Black Bean Soup From Scratch
This recipe really so easy to make, friends! Hence the name Easy Black Bean Soup! If you’re on the hunt for the perfect meatless Monday dish, or are just in need of a hearty soup, then look no further. I guarantee this soup will rival the restaurant versions.
Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan.
Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften. Add the minced garlic and sauté an additional minute.
Stir in the chicken broth, Rotel diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and black beans.
Bring mixture to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Transfer half of soup to a blender or medium bowl. Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until pureed.
Pour pureed soup back into the pot. Add lime juice and stir.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Absolutely! This creamy black bean soup freezes incredibly well. It can be frozen for up to three months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight or reheat gently in the microwave.
What to Serve with Black Bean Soup
A simple side salad or a crusty slice of bread goes perfectly with a bowl of this quick black bean soup. If you need more side dish ideas, here are a couple to get you started:
- Corn and Tomato Salad
- Southwestern Sweet Potato Salad
- Apple Cranberry Pecan Salad
- Skillet Cornbread
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
Tips for the Best Black Bean Soup
- If you’re really looking to save time, buy the already diced onions that you can usually find in the refrigerated section of your grocery’s produce section. That way, you don’t have to dice the onion!
- It’s all about texture! I like to puree half of the soup to create that creamy and thick texture, and leave the other half as is, which adds some chunkiness to the soup.
- If you prefer a smooth and consistent texture, feel free to puree the entire batch.
Looking for more quick soup recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- One-Pot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Tortellini Soup
- One-Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Easy Cheeseburger Soup
Easy Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, , diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce) black beans, , drained and rinsed
- Juice of one lime
- Lime wedge
- Sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a medium soup pot or saucepan.
- Add onion and saute until begins to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, Rotel diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and black beans. Bring mixture to a boil. Then, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer half of soup to a blender or medium bowl. Using a blender or immersion blender, blend until pureed.
- Pour pureed soup back into pot. Add lime juice and stir.
- Serve immediately and garnish with cilantro, a lime wedge, and/or sour cream, if desired.