This Simple Shepherd’s Pie features a unique spin on the classic version and is ready in less than 20 minutes. Loaded with zesty ground beef, cheddar cheese, mixed veggies, and topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes, this is the ultimate comfort dish for everyone to enjoy!
It’s freeeeezing outside, friends! I know it’s January and I live in the Midwest, but it’s abnormally cold for this area. I’m talking single and negative digits. But, if we’re lucky, it’ll be in the mid 30’s by Sunday…heat wave!
And when it’s bitter cold out, all I want to do is to cozy up with some warm and hearty dishes. Though I crave comfort food year round, I start to want more stick-to-your-ribs, cozy meals, if you know what I mean.
Of course, soups, stews, and chilis always make the list. But, another favorite in my household is shepherd’s pie casserole. The hubster loves it because of mashed potatoes, ground beef, and simple flavors. After all, he is a true meat-and-potatoes man.
The first time I made this Simple Shepherd’s Pie back in June of last year, the hubster and I were hooked. The texture, the flavor, and the taste was pure comfort. No complicated ingredients, no standing over the stove for hours, just pure, simple comfort food.
Since I’m all about the easy recipes around here, this dish quickly made it to the top of our meal rotation. And even better, it’s the perfect dish for the January installment of 30-Minute Thursday!
What makes this Easy Shepherd’s Pie extra special is the ground beef mixture. Instead of the usual gravy mixture, taco seasoning is used in place of it. That’s part of what makes this dish zesty and simple! The ground beef is also tossed with some shredded cheddar cheese and frozen mixed veggies. And then the topping! It wouldn’t be shepherd’s pie without the mashed potatoes on top.
Flavorful, easy to make, and packed with simple ingredients, this Easy Shepherd’s Pie is guaranteed to be a hit at the dinner table all year long!
What’s in Shepherd’s Pie?
Trust me when I say that this is comfort food to the max. Fast, easy, and hearty comfort food, all with ingredients that you may just have in your kitchen right now.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this simple shepherd’s pie with cheese:
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Leftover mashed potatoes
How to Make This Simple Shepherd’s Pie
This quick shepherd’s pie features a unique spin on the classic version and is ready in less than 20 minutes. Loaded with zesty ground beef, cheddar cheese, mixed veggies, and topped with creamy, cheesy mashed potatoes, this is the ultimate comfort dish for everyone to enjoy!
Preheat broiler to medium heat.
In a large, ovenproof skillet, cook and crumble ground beef, minced onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.
Stir in water, taco seasoning, and mixed vegetables and warm over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
Add 1 cup of cheese and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix mashed potatoes and remaining cheese. Spread in an even layer over ground beef mixture.
Broil for 4-6 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly golden.
Can I Use Another Type of Meat?
Yes! Any ground meat should work in this recipe. Traditional shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb, but you can also use ground turkey, chicken, or pork. Just keep in mind that ground poultry is very low in fat, so you may want to add extra olive oil to the skillet to make up for that.
Can I Prep This in Advance?
Yes! You can assemble the shepherd’s pie casserole, wrap it in foil, and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake it off. If you go this route, you’ll have to bake the casserole at 350F for about 30 minutes rather than broil it for just a few minutes.
Tips for the Best Shepherd’s Pie
- Instead of using homemade mashed potatoes, I opted for the refrigerated, store-bought kind. Of course, you could also make your own, or use leftovers, but we’re going for convenience here, friends.
- I used a pre-made frozen veggie medley, but you can add any blend of vegetables you’d like.
- I mixed shredded cheddar into the mashed potatoes, but you can also sprinkle extra cheese on top if desired.
Looking for more ground beef dinner recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Cheesy Beef Tortellini Skillet
Simple Shepherd’s Pie
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 3 cups refrigerated leftover mashed potatoes (see note)
- Preheat broiler to medium heat.
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, cook and crumble ground beef, minced onion, and garlic over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain mixture and return to skillet.
- Stir in water, taco seasoning, and mixed vegetables and warm over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix mashed potatoes and remaining cheese. Spread in an even layer over ground beef mixture.
- Broil for 4-6 minutes, or until potatoes are slightly golden.
- Serve immediately.