This Mexican Rice is simple to prepare and full of zesty flavors. Filled with fresh salsa, black beans, and spices, this rice is makes an easy side dish for just about any meal!
I think it’s obvious by now that I’m crazy for Mexican food. Tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and everything in between, I love them all. So with Cinco de Mayo coming up, it’s only natural that I share my love for this cuisine again.
When I made it home, I couldn’t wait to test out this Mexican Rice. It’s easy, full of Mexican flavor, and the perfect side dish to whip up for a Cinco de Mayo (or any day) celebration. Filled with fresh salsa, black beans, and spices, this rice is zesty and delicious.
If you love zesty rice, then this Mexican Rice was made for you!
I decided to put a unique twist on this dish and throw in some black beans. It gives it great flavor and a delicious taste. And since you can make it in the convenience of your own home, I guarantee it’ll be a dinnertime favorite.
This Mexican Rice cooks up full of zesty flavor and hearty beans. The salsa and seasonings give this dish a nice twist. If you’re looking for a Cinco de Mayo dish, then this is it!
Homemade Mexican Rice Ingredients
I kept the Mexican rice seasoning as simple as possible, but still tried to pack in as much flavor as I possibly could. Here’s everything you’ll need to make this homemade Mexican rice recipe:
- Long-grain rice
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Chunky salsa
- Black beans
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Mexican Rice
Did I mention how easy this Mexican rice recipe is to whip up? You’ll be amazed at how simple it is to transform some white rice into a dish flavored with salsa, garlic, and spices.
- Combine some uncooked rice, chicken broth, butter, salsa, garlic powder, black beans, salt and pepper into a medium pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice mixture is tender.
- Fluff with a fork and get ready to indulge in this spicy Mexican rice.
Can I Add Extra Veggies?
I’m sure you could! I bet sautéed bell pepper and onions or frozen corn would work well in this easy Mexican rice recipe.
Can I Freeze Mexican Rice?
Yep! This simple Mexican rice recipe freezes well. Simply seal tightly in a freezer container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, place in your fridge to thaw or gently reheat in a saucepan.
Tips for the Best Mexican Rice
I used long-grain white rice to make this Mexican rice recipe, but you can use any rice you have on hand. Just note that brown rice takes much more time to cook than white rice does.
If you wanted to make this simple Mexican rice a full meal, add some diced chicken to it once it’s been cooked.
For a spicier rice, add a dash of cayenne pepper, hot sauce, or use a spicy salsa.
Looking for easy Mexican dishes? I’ve got you covered!
- One Pan Chicken Enchilada Bake
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Baked Chicken Ranch Taquitos
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup chunky salsa, (any kind)
- 15 oz canned black beans, , drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, chicken brother, salsa, beans, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, and then let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice mixture is tender.
- Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Serve immediately.