One Pot BBQ Chicken Pasta recipe is fast, easy, and ready in 30 minutes. Filled with tender pasta, rotisserie chicken, tangy bbq sauce, and cheese, this simple dish makes the best meal!
One Pot BBQ Chicken Pasta
If easy, one-pot meals are the name of your game, then I’ve got a winner for you.
This BBQ chicken pasta is a new favorite of mine. It’s fast, fresh, has so much flavor, is made entirely in one pot (even the noodles cook in the same pot), and ready in just 30 minutes.
And the best part? The BBQ sauce! I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce, but any kind will work.
It may sound strange to put barbecue sauce in a pasta dish, but trust me, it’s a game changer. It adds a subtle smoky flavor, without being too overpowering.
And just incase you’ve got bbq foods on the brain, you’ll love these BBQ chicken legs, bbq chicken quesadilla, slow cooker bbq pulled chicken, and bbq ranch chicken salad. All of these recipes are fast, easy, and loaded with barbecue flavor.
Once you dig into this creamy, cheesy, smoky pasta, I guarantee you’ll be hooked on the delicious flavor. Even my picky husband loved this, and that’s saying a lot! This one pot recipe is a great option for busy weeknights. The whole family will keep coming back for more!
This great recipe is also easy to customize. Sometimes, I’ll add red onion and cheddar cheese, or a healthy dose of garlic powder, too. This simple recipe makes delicious leftovers with my favorite flavors. And, if you’ve got leftover chicken, it’s a good use for this pasta.
Ingredients in One Pan BBQ Chicken Pasta:
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Chicken broth
- Diced tomatoes
- BBQ sauce
- Milk (or heavy cream for more richness)
- Uncooked rotini pasta (or any shape you prefer)
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
How to Make BBQ Chicken Creamy Pasta:
In a large pot or skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and minced onion and sauté for 1 minute.
Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, milk, bbq sauce, uncooked pasta, chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until pasta is tender and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Top with more bbq sauce, if desired
What Kind of Pasta Should I Use?
Any type of short pasta, such as cavatappi, rotini, or penne will work well.
What Kind of Chicken Works Best for This BBQ Pasta?
To make this one pot chicken dinner even easier, I used some rotisserie cooked chicken that you can find near the deli section of your grocery story. It’s perfect for this dish and a time-saver, too. But, if you prefer to cook your own chicken or have leftover chicken, that works just as well, too.
Using frozen chicken? Be sure to thaw completely before adding to this dish.
How to Store Leftovers:
Let pasta cool to room temperature and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can I Freeze the Leftovers?
Absolutely! Let the pasta cool completely and then store in a freezer-safe container for up to three moths.
What Should I Serve with This?
I like to serve this creamy bbq chicken pasta recipe with a fresh green salad or cheesy garlic bread as an easy side.
Tips for Making the Best Creamy BBQ Pasta:
- To save time, I used minced onion instead of a regular onion. This adds the same amount of flavor as a diced onion, without having to sauté first. However, you can absolutely use a small white onion instead.
- Diced tomatoes add a hint of flavor and more liquid to cook the pasta. However, you can skip the tomatoes entirely or use Ro-tel for an extra kick. If you choose to omit the diced tomatoes, you may need to add more chicken broth to cook the pasta.
- Use your favorite bbq sauce! I used this sauce, as it’s my favorite, but any kind…sweet, spicy, etc. will work well in this pasta. And if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even make your own homemade bbq sauce.
- Want even more flavor? Add bacon, corn, or even black beans for even more deliciousness.
Looking for More Chicken Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Pasta
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- One Pan Chicken and Garlic Parmesan Rice
- Honey Garlic Chicken Legs
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
One Pot BBQ Chicken Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teasppoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes undrained
- ½ cup milk, any kind (I used 2%)
- ½ cup bbq sauce, any kind (I used this sauce)
- 3 cups uncooked pasta (such as cavatappi, rotini, or penne)
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (I used the pre-cooked, shredded rotisserie chicken that you can find near the deli section of your grocery store)
- 1½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and minced onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, milk, bbq sauce, uncooked pasta, chicken, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until pasta is tender and cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Top with more bbq sauce, if desired
- Pasta will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- See my tips and tricks for making this One Pot BBQ Chicken Pasta above the recipe box.