Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms is an easy, one pan dish that’s ready in just 30 minutes. Tender chicken and sautéd mushrooms are tossed in a simple parmesan cream sauce. It’s fast, flavorful, and guaranteed to be a dinnertime favorite!
It’s no secret that chicken dinners are a favorite around here. From this Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry, to that One Pan Chicken and Spinach Gnocchi and this Baked Honey Garlic Chicken, I love it all.
But, chicken has to be full of flavor for me. No plain jane chicken around here, friends!
And that’s why this creamy chicken with mushroom sauce recipe is a new favorite of mine. Not only is it made in just one pan and ready in 30 minutes, but it combines simple ingredients to produce the most incredible flavor. The combination of seasonings, chicken thighs, tender mushrooms, parmesan and cream create the most deliciously easy dinner!
This creamy Parmesan chicken recipe would also be perfect to serve for when you have guests over for dinner. The parmesan mushroom sauce is impressively delicious and takes this dish over the top.
Dare I say this creamy mushroom chicken recipe is the best chicken recipe that I’ve made?
Ingredients in Creamy Parmesan Chicken
The star of this dish is the creamy mushroom sauce for the chicken! Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Unsalted butter
- Olive oil
- Chicken thighs or breasts
- Seasonings (Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- Sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Creamy Parmesan Chicken
This easy chicken dinner requires just a few steps and only one pan! It’s fast and ready to serve in no time.
- To start, melt some butter and olive oil in a large skillet. Sprinkle each side of the chicken thighs or breasts with the combination of seasonings (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder) and then brown on both sides until cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe the skillet, if needed, and return to stove. Add more butter and sauté some mushrooms until tender.
- Reduce heat to low and add some heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir and simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly thicken.
- Add the chicken back to skillet and cook until warmed through.
What to serve with Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- Rice, egg noodles, or mashed potatoes! Any of these would be a delicious choice to soak up that mushroom cream sauce.
- Dinner rolls or crusty bread! Another great option for pairing with the chicken and cream sauce.
Variations of Mushroom Chicken
- Add more veggies! Some baby potatoes or broccoli would pair well with this easy parmesan cream sauce.
- Fresh herbs! Add some fresh rosemary or thyme to give this chicken dish extra flavor.
- Add more cheese! Some freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, or even burrata, would pair wonderfully with parmesan.
If you’re on the hunt for an easy chicken dinner idea, this parmesan garlic mushroom chicken will hit the spot! It’s a breeze to whip up, combines simple ingredients, and is guaranteed to be a family favorite!
Tips for Making Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this parmesan chicken. However, boneless, skinless chicken breasts will also work. If using chicken breasts, either slice the chicken horizontally or pound thin so that it doesn’t take long to cook.
Baby bella mushrooms are my mushroom of choice to cook with, as I love the flavor. However, any mushroom will work! Bella, white button, or mixed will complement this dish.
Make sure that the chicken is cooked through! If your chicken thighs or breasts are smaller and around the same size, they should cook in about 12-15 minutes total (6-7 minutes per side). To be safe, use a meat thermometer, as you want your chicken to come to an internal temperature of 165F.
Looking for more easy chicken dinners? I’ve got you covered!
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Chicken Caprese Quesadillas
- Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl
- BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
- Chicken & Mushroom Parmesan Rice
Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts*)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil until melted.
- Season chicken on both sides with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook on both sides until browned and cooked through, about 6-7 minutes. You want the chicken to reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Once chicken is cooked through, remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe skillet, if needed, and add more butter. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste, and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Stir until combined and then simmer for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Add chicken back to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through. Serve with rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes, if desired.
- *If using chicken breasts, slice horizontally or pound thin so cooking time is decreased.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken above the recipe box