Unstuffed Pepper Casserole
This Unstuffed Pepper Casserole features the classic ingredients of stuffed peppers, but in casserole form. Jam-packed with ground beef, green peppers, rice, and spices, this dish takes just 30 minutes from start to finish!
Now that the weather is getting cooler and fall is officially in the air, I’m craving a lot of comfort food.
Foods that are hearty and fill my house with a delicious aroma makes me appreciate the season even more. Knowing that the air is crisp, the leaves are changing, and I have a hot meal just waiting to be devoured signifies fall and all things deliciousness.
Although I do most of the cooking, the hubster often helps me and has a few signature dishes of his own. And one of those dishes just happens to be stuffed peppers. He has an old recipe, faded from use, and will make this dish once or twice a year. I love when he makes stuffed peppers because not only is it delicious, but it also gets me out of the kitchen. And I do like taking a break every now and then.
So when we were going over our meal plan a few weeks ago, I had the idea to take the hubster’s famous stuffed peppers and turn it into a casserole. Instead of baking the mixture inside green peppers, I wanted to make it all-in-one. And that’s where this Unstuffed Pepper Casserole came from.
This bell pepper casserole features the classic ingredients of stuffed peppers, but in casserole form. Jam-packed with ground beef, green peppers, rice, and spices, this dish take just 30 minutes from start to finish. It makes the perfect weeknight meal and is sure to cure your comfort food cravings.
If you’re looking for an easy dish that’s a breeze to whip up, then this Unstuffed Pepper Casserole was made for you. Did I mention that it’s ready in just 30 minutes? And that includes the prep time, too. Which means that you can have this hearty and flavorful dish ready to devour in no time.
What’s in Unstuffed Pepper Casserole?
The great thing about this green pepper casserole is that it has a very simple ingredients list:
- White rice
- Ground beef
- Green bell peppers
- Marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
- Italian breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
How to Make Unstuffed Pepper Casserole
This Unstuffed Pepper Bake is filled with warm flavors and hearty ingredients. It makes the perfect dinner and even works well for leftovers. And that’s a winner in my book!
- Simply brown some ground beef and toss with green peppers and onions.
- Then add some marinara sauce, white rice, and cheese.
- Mix everything together and pop in into a casserole dish.
- Top the mixture with some bread crumbs and bake until browned and warmed through. And that’s it!
So if you’re looking for an easy meal, skip the stuffed peppers and try this Unstuffed Pepper Bake instead. It contains the classic ingredients, but takes less time to prepare. And trust me, this will be a new meal-time favorite in your house!
Can I Use Brown Rice?
Of course! Just keep in mind that brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, which means this dish will take more than 30 minutes to prep.
Can I Freeze This Casserole?
Yes! Let it cool completely before freezing. It’ll last up to 3 months. I imagine you can reheat it from frozen, no need to thaw first.
Tips for Making Bell Pepper Casserole
- We always make our stuffed peppers with green peppers, but you can use any color pepper you prefer.
- I like using Italian seasoning breadcrumbs for this recipe because they’re more flavorful than regular breadcrumbs.
- Any marinara sauce will work in this recipe. Use your favorite!
Looking for more 30-minute meals? I’ve got you covered!
- Tuna Skillet Casserole
- Parmesan Garlic Shrimp Fettucine
- Easy Salisbury Steak
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms
Unstuffed Pepper Casserole
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 green peppers
- ½ white onion
- 1 jar (26 ounces) marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare rice according to packaged directions.
- Dice green peppers and onions. In a large skillet, add ground beef, green peppers, and onion. Cook over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain mixture and return to skillet. Add cooked rice, marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and cheese. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture into a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and olive oil. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of ground beef mixture.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until heated through and bread crumbs are golden. Serve immediately.