This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is ready in just 20 minutes. It makes the perfect, lighter soup for enjoying on chilly nights. Once you try this version, you’ll never go back to the canned kind!
This post has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
There’s just no better time for some comforting soup than the fall. Am I right? I love savoring hot soup when the nights are cold and the air is crisp. And making soup is a favorite fall activity of mine, too. It just screams comfort food and all things deliciousness.
So when I was shopping at Walmart last week, I decided that it was time to skip the canned soups and make my own. I wanted a soup that could be ready in about a half hour and was perfect for busy weeknights.
As I was browsing through the aisles, I stumbled upon Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes and Ro*TEL. These are staple ingredients that I always keep in my kitchen, so I knew this would serve as an excellent base for some homemade soup.
After loading up my cart with a few cans of Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes in Roasted Garlic flavor, along with some Ro*TEL Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies, I headed on home to whip up a delicious batch of this Creamy Tomato Soup. Because Hunt’s and Ro*TEL contain quality ingredients, I knew it would be perfect for creating a stress-free, weeknight dish that can be ready in no time.
This Creamy Tomato Soup is filled with zesty tomatoes, seasoned with spices, and is ready in just 20 minutes. It makes the perfect, lighter soup for enjoying on chilly, fall nights. Once you try this version, you’ll never go back to the canned kind!
By using Hunt’s and Ro*TEL as the base of this Creamy Tomato Soup, you can be sure that your dinner will be delicious, filling, and easy to prepare. And because you use milk instead of heavy cream, it makes this soup on the lighter side.
Ingredients in Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
I made this tomato soup recipe with canned tomatoes to save myself lots of time and effort. Here’s everything you’ll need to make homemade creamy tomato soup:
- Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes
- Ro*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- Chicken broth
- Dried basil and oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Unsalted butter
- Milk (any kind)
How to Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Did I mention that this Creamy Tomato Soup takes only 20 minutes to make? From start to finish, you can have this dish ready in no time. And it’s so easy to prepare, which is why this makes the perfect weeknight meal.
- To start, you’ll combine the Hunt’s and Ro*TEL tomatoes, spices, and chicken broth into a soup pot.
- Bring that to a boil and then let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then, you remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to mix everything together so that there are no large chunks.
- Add in some milk and butter and heat until everything is combined.
And that’s it! This easy creamy tomato soup is prepped and ready to be devoured in just 20 minutes. And that’s a meal-time winner in my book.
How to Make Tomato Soup Creamy
Wondering how I got this tomato soup to be so creamy? I added two secret ingredients, milk and butter!
Any type of milk will work in this recipe, but if you use a non-dairy milk be sure to use a variety that’s unflavored and unsweetened. I bet you could use a non-dairy butter too.
How to Thicken Tomato Soup
If you follow the recipe as written, your tomato soup should be thick enough. However, if it’s too thin for your liking I suggest one of the following:
- Simmer the soup for an additional 10 minutes, uncovered
- Add a spoonful of tomato paste
- Mix 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/2 tablespoon water, then stir into the soup
- Add slightly less chicken broth next time you make this recipe
Can Tomato Soup Be Frozen?
Since there’s just 1 cup of milk in the entire batch of creamy tomato basil soup, you should be fine to freeze it. However, since it contains dairy it’s possible that the soup will split (i.e. become grainy) once frozen.
What to Serve with Tomato Soup
This homemade creamy tomato soup works well alongside grilled cheese, fresh bread, or a side salad. Here are some more ideas to get you started:
- Tomato, Avocado & Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- Grilled Ham and Swiss Sandwich
- Caprese Grilled Cheese
- Cheesy Cornbread Muffins
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Apple Cranberry Salad
One bite of this Creamy Tomato Soup and you’ll love the smooth texture and rich tomato flavor. It’s the perfect dish for cozying up with on cool, fall nights.
And because it’s ready in just 20 minutes, you can be sure that your meal is stress-free and delicious!
Looking for easy soup recipes? I’ve got you covered!
I have lots of quick and easy soup recipes on my site, but here are a few of my all-time favorites:
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- One-Pot Lasagna Soup
- Easy Black Bean Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce) Hunt's Diced Tomatoes in Roasted Garlic flavor or regular diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (14.5 ounce) Ro*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk any kind
- In a medium pot, combine the Hunt's Diced Tomatoes, Ro*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, garlic, chicken broth, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil and then let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy and no large chunks remain. Alternatively, you can use a regular blender and then return mixture to pot.
- Add in butter and milk and stir to combine. Warm over low heat, if needed. Serve immediately.