Instant Pot Steak Fajitas are a quick and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. With just a handful of ingredients, this flavorful dish is perfect to serve over rice or on top of tortillas!
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
Are you ready for an easy, one pot meal?
This Instant Pot Steak Fajitas recipe hits the spot. Not only is it incredibly easy to make, but it tastes like you’ve spent hours preparing the meat. I just love meals like that…don’t you?
Simply slice the steak, chop the veggies, brown the meat, and mix everything together. This recipe really is as simple as it sounds. And in no time, you’ll have this pressure cooker fajita recipe ready to be devoured.
And just incase you’re on the hunt for more instant pot recipes, you’ll love Instant Pot Sloppy Joes, Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice, Instant Pot Beef Stew and that Instant Pot Pesto Chicken with Pasta.
But, back to this steak fajita recipe. Simple to make, even better to, and perfect for nights when you want a home-cooked meal but don’t feel like slaving away in the kitchen.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Steak Fajitas:
- Olive oil
- Flank or ribeye steak
- Beef broth
- Fajitas seasoning
- Bell peppers
- White onion
What’s the Best Cut of Steak for Fajitas?
I prefer to use flank or ribeye steak in this pressure cooker steak fajita recipe. However, skirt, rump or top round sirloin would work well, too.
How to Make Steak Fajitas in the Instant Pot:
- Set Instant Pot to ‘manual’ setting. Once pot is hot, add olive oil. Add steak and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Let brown for several minutes on all sides. Press the ‘cancel’ button once steak is browned.
- Add beef broth/water to Instant Pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon to get the browned bits unstuck from the bottom of pot. Add fajita seasoning to the pot and stir well.
- Cover and place into lock position, and make sure the valve is in the ‘sealing’ position. Press the ‘manual’ button and cook for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release by turning the valve to the venting position and letting steam release until the pin drops.
Add sliced peppers and onions to Instant Pot and replace lid and cover. Let steam in pot for about 5 minutes to become tender. There is no need to set timer, just let steam with the lid closed. Remove the lid, add lime juice and stir. Serve on top of rice or tortilla shells.
How to Reheat This Dish:
I like to reheat these fajitas in a skillet over medium heat. However, you can pop these in the microwave if you’re short on time.
- I like to serve these easy fajitas as a bowl, on top of white or brown rice.
- Spoon the filling into tortillas or lettuce wraps and garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
- Add some sliced avocado or jalapeños for an added kick!
How Long will Instant Pot Beef Fajitas last?
Fajitas will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Tips for Making the Best Instant Pot Steak Fajitas:
- Slice the steak against the grain when prepping this recipe.
- Brown the steak in batches, if needed. You want to sear the steak so that it gets a nice flavor, otherwise, it will steam if too crowded.
- If you’re short on time, you can add the peppers and onions to the Instant Pot and cook along with the steak. However, I find that it makes the veggies too mushy, which is why I like to steam them at the end.
Looking for Easy Mexican Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- Mexican Rice
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl
An Easy Video Tutorial for Instant Pot Steak Fajitas:
Instant Pot Steak Fajitas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds flank or ribeye steak sliced into strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup beef broth OR water
- 1 packet fajita seasoning mix
- 3 bell peppers, such as green, red, and yellow sliced
- 1 white onion sliced into strips
- Juice of one lime
- Sour cream or cilantro for garnish if desired
- Set Instant Pot to 'saute' setting. Once pot is hot, add olive oil. Add steak and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Let brown for several minutes on all sides. Press the 'cancel' button once steak is browned.
- Add beef broth/water to Instant Pot and scrape the bottom of the pot with a spoon to get the browned bits unstuck from the bottom of pot. Add fajita seasoning to pot and stir well.
- Cover and place into lock position, and make sure the valve is in the 'sealing' position. Press the 'manual' button and cook for 10 minutes. **Remember that it will take the IP about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then will count down from 10 minutes**
- When the timer goes off, do a quick release by turning the valve to the venting position and letting steam release until the pin drops. I like to place a folded kitchen towel over the valve so that it catches the steam.
- Add sliced peppers and onions to Instant Pot and replace lid and cover. Let steam in pot for about 5 minutes to become tender. There is no need to set timer, just let steam with lid closed until tender. **See note below**
- Remove lid, add lime juice and stir. Serve on top of rice or tortilla shells.
- You can add peppers and onions to the steak when cooking, though the veggies will be mushy, which is why I like to add at the end.
- There will be a lot of liquid remaining, so you can either discard or spoon over rice.
- See my tips and tricks for making these Instant Pot Steak Fajitas above the recipe box.