Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Legs
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Legs make an easy, flavorful meal that’s ready in no time. Toss everything into your slow cooker and let it work its magic. You’re rewarded with tender, juicy, and saucy chicken that’s perfect for the whole family!
Grab your favorite bbq sauce and get ready to be wowed by this oh-so easy chicken drumstick recipe.
And chicken. There are so many ways to prepare chicken and I just loving using a sweet bbq sauce to flavor it. This one pot bbq chicken pasta is a favorite around here. It’s easy, made in one pot, and yep, you guessed it…is tossed with tangy bbq sauce.
These slow cooker chicken legs are a new recipe to add to the mix. Much like these oven-baked bbq chicken legs, this dish is made with a few ingredients but is loaded with flavor.
The results? Tender, juicy, saucy chicken that is sure to impress anyone. If you like your chicken crispy, you can pop it under the broiler for a few minutes before serving. But, if not, just dig in as is! This simple recipe is the best way to to prepare a busy weeknight dinner.
Why You’ll Love Crock Pot Chicken Drumsticks:
- Minimal prep time and ingredients
- Perfect for the entire family and/or guests
- A dump-and-go recipe for when you’re short on time
- Great for meal prepping
- Makes delicious leftovers
Ingredients in Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks:
- Seasonings: chili powder, dried oregano, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- BBQ sauce
- Chicken legs
In a medium bowl, add chili powder, oregano, onion powder, chicken broth, 1 cup of bbq sauce, salt, pepper and mix well.
Place drumsticks in the slow cooker in a single layer. Pour the bbq sauce mixture the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Optional: remove chicken from slow cooker and place in an even layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush each leg with remaining ¼ cup bbq sauce. Broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes or until sauce begins to caramelize. Serve immediately.Alternatively: remove chicken from slow cooker and brush with remaining bbq sauce. Serve immediately.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Freezing: place cooled chicken in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for up to three months.
What Kind of Barbecue Sauce Should I Use?
I personally love this BBQ sauce and always have it on-hand. However, a homemade sauce works just as well. And if you don’t have any sauce or don’t want to use any, you can skip it entirely and just use seasonings.
How to Make Chicken Legs Crispy:
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker when done cooking and broil under high heat for 2-4 minutes, or until the skin gets crispy. This step is optional, but makes the legs extra tasty!
Can You Put Frozen Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
You can, though I don’t recommend it, as the recipe may not turn out as well. If you must use frozen chicken, you will need to increase the cooking time and make sure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165℉.
- Use chicken thighs and/or breasts instead of legs for a heartier cut of meat.
- Switch up the sauce and use a homemade bbq sauce or even a teriyaki glaze.
- Add some honey, brown sugar, or soy sauce to the bbq sauce while cooking. This will help enhance the flavor of these slow cooker bbq chicken legs.
What to Serve with Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Drumsticks:
This recipe is perfect alongside a lot of side dishes! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Stove Top Mac ‘n Cheese
- Air Fryer Parmesan Green Beans
- Corn Souffle
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Carrots
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Baked Cheesy Cauliflower
Looking for More Easy Chicken Recipes? I’ve Got You Covered!
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tortellini
- One Pan Balsamic Chicken & Asparagus
- Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- Black Bean Chicken Chili
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Legs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1¼ cup bbq sauce, any kind, (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- salt and pepper, (to taste)
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- In a medium bowl, add chili powder, oregano, onion powder, chicken broth, 1 cup of bbq sauce, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Place drumsticks in the slow cooker in a single layer. Pour the bbq sauce mixture the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Optional: remove chicken from slow cooker and place in an even layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush each leg with remaining ¼ cup bbq sauce. Broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes or until sauce begins to caramelize. Serve immediately.Alternatively: remove chicken from slow cooker and brush with remaining ¼ cup bbq sauce. Serve immediately.
- Leftover chicken will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- See my tips and tricks for making these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Legs above the recipe box.