Pizza Potato Skins
Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and seasonings, these Pizza Potato Skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack!
**april 2018 update! this recipe was originally posted in august 2014. i decided that the photos desperately needed updating, so i reshot the recipe (but still kept the ingredient list and directions the same). i also kept the original post/story below that i wrote four years ago!**
Let’s talk about potatoes today.
Carb-loaded and full of starch.
I’m a potato fan. Baked, broiled, mashed, steamed, roasted, or fried, I pretty much like any potato that comes my way. From these Garlic Parmesan Smashed Potatoes, to those Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Baked Potatoes and these Herb Roasted Potatoes, I love them all.
But then there’s the outcast…potato skins. My feelings on these little guys are somewhat distorted. Even loaded with cheese, bacon, and sour cream, I just don’t swoon over potato skins like I do their cousins. I don’t hate ’em, but I could definitely live without ‘em…until now.
I took an average potato skin and gave it a delicious makeover, creating these zesty Pizza Potato Skins! Loaded with pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and seasonings, these potato skins are sure to be a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack! And because everyone likes pizza, who can resist these perfectly proportioned appetizers?
I don’t know about you, but I could eat appetizers for dinner every so often. There’s just something about snacking on some delicious foods that cures my cravings.
And these Pizza Potato Skins would definitely be on the menu! Just like my Restaurant Style Salsa and this Cobb Salad Dip, these potato skins are a breeze to whip up. Simply scoop out the insides of your potatoes, bake, layer with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni (or your desired toppings), season, and broil. That’s it!
Perfectly crisp and delicious potato skins that tastes like pizza. And because these Pizza Potato Skins are so versatile, feel free to add your favorite toppings, adjust the seasonings, or swap out pizza sauce for Alfredo sauce. The combinations are endless!
So the next time your in the mood to jazz up an old favorite or are hosting a party, try out these Pizza Potato Skins! I promise you’ll never go back to plain ‘ole potato skins again!
Looking for more appetizer recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Garlic Ranch Pretzels
- Chicken and Spinach Pesto Quesadillas
- Stuffed Pizza Rolls
- Baked Parmesan Green Bean Fries
Pizza Potato Skins
- 2 baking potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup pizza sauce, any kind
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- About 12 pepperoni slices
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prick each potato with a fork, place onto a medium baking pan and bake for about 50 min, or until tender on the inside. Remove from oven. Then set oven to broil.
- Cut each potato into three sections, lengthwise, so that you end up with two ends and a middle. Set the middle aside, as it isn't needed to make these skins (I baked the middles along with the potato skins).
- Using a melon baller or spoon, scrape out the inside of each potato half, leaving about a 1/2 inch of filling.
- Brush each potato skin with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes on baking pan and broil for two minutes on each side. Then remove from oven.
- Top each potato with pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Broil for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of warmed pizza sauce, if desired.