Banana Coffee Cake makes the most delicious breakfast or dessert. Sweet bananas are packed into a soft and fluffy cake and studded with a crispy cinnamon streusel topping. It’s easy to make and perfect for just about any time!
And because the hubster eats a banana almost every day, there’s no shortage of them around our house. So when we have a few overripe bananas, I put them to good use.
Starting with this easy banana cake. Yep, my latest dish is this banana coffee cake recipe. It’s incredibly easy to make and serves as the most delectable breakfast or dessert. Don’t you just love dishes that double as both?
I mean, cake for breakfast…it doesn’t get much better than that!
This banana bread coffee cake bakes up soft, fluffy, and with the perfect hint of bananas. Plus, it has the most delicious cinnamon streusel topping as the finishing touch.
The bananas and sour cream make this coffee cake extra delicious and extra moist. No dry, crumbly cake happening over here!
Ingredients in Banana Coffee Cake
This banana coffee cake recipe uses pantry staples you likely have on hand already. Here’s what you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Sour cream
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make Banana Coffee Cake
Like most of my recipes, this banana sour cream coffee cake is a breeze to whip up!
- To start, mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating with sour cream and beat until combined.
- Spread the batter into a greased cake pan and set aside.
- Next comes the best cinnamon streusel topping! Mix together some light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, melted butter, and flour.
- Sprinkle over the banana coffee cake batter, then let the oven work its magic.
How to Quickly Ripen Bananas
Do you have some bananas that aren’t quite ripe for baking? Here are some methods to use that fruit right away!
Warm the bananas in the oven! Set your oven to 250F and place the unpeeled bananas on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until skin is black and shiny. Watch the time closely, as you don’t want the bananas to start oozing out.
In the microwave! Prick banana (with the peel on) with a fork several times on both sides, making sure to pierce through the skin. Place the banana in the microwave and heat on medium power for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Let cool slightly and check to see if banana is soft. If not, continue to heat until desired softness is met.
Use a paper bag! Add a banana to a paper bag and loosely fold down the top. If you have any apples or ripe bananas, add to the bag. This will increase the amount of ethylene gas. The banana should ripen within a day or two.
Variations of Banana Coffee Cake
- Add some blueberries or strawberries to pair with the bananas! Many fruits will help complement the banana taste.
- Add a touch of almond extract! It will give this banana crumb cake recipe a touch of extra flavor.
- Make banana coffee cake muffins or donuts! Simply spoon the batter into muffin tins or donut cavities and top with the cinnamon streusel for an easy dessert.
Have I convinced you to make the best banana bread coffee cake yet? It’s fast, easy, loaded with flavor, and perfect treat to pair alongside that cup of coffee or tea!
Tips for making Banana Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Be sure to use ripe bananas! This will ensure that sweet banana flavor!
- Don’t skip that streusel! It’s easy to prepare and gives this banana crumb coffee cake the perfect finishing touch!
- Do the toothpick test on this cake to determine when it’s done baking. You don’t want to bake it too long, as it will become dry.
Looking for more banana recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Banana Upside Down Cake
- Cinnamon Banana Croissant French Toast
- Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Peanut Butter Banana Energy Bites
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Banana Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter , softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas , mashed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- ¾ cup sour cream
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1 cup light brown sugar , packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla bean paste/extract. Beat well.
- Slowly beat in flour mixture to banana mixture, ½ cup at a time, alternating with sour cream. Spread batter into prepared pan and set aside.
- To make the cinnamon streusel, in a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, melted butter and four until it resembles wet, crumbly sand. Sprinkle streusel evenly over top of batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.