Cake Mix Donuts are light, fluffy, and simple to make. With just two ingredients, you can have these baked donuts ready to serve for a fun breakfast or dessert!
Cake Mix Donuts
I’m so excited to share today’s recipe, friends!
Now that we’re nearing back-to-school time, I thought these baked cake donuts would be the best treat for the occasion. It doubles as breakfast and dessert, is made with just two ingredients (cake mix and frosting!) and is ready in no time.
Baked donuts from cake mix is just about the easiest and most delicious donut recipe out there. Cake mix, plus the ingredients to make the cake (errr donuts), frosting, and sprinkles are all you need to make these cake mix donuts.
If breakfast ideas stump you every now and then, how about this deliciously fun treat? By using chocolate and vanilla frosting, you can customize the toppings and whip up simple vanilla cake mix donuts and chocolate cake mix donuts! Easy peasy, friends!
How do you make baked donuts with Cake Mix?
This is such an easy breakfast recipe (or dessert recipe!) that you can whip this up over and over again, with minimal ingredients and prep time!
- To start, prepare the cake mix according to package directions.
- Spoon or pipe into greased donut pans, filling about 3/4 of the way full, or just a touch more. You want these donuts to bake up thick and fluffy!
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until donuts start to brown on the edges and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let donuts cool completely before frosting.
- When ready to frost donuts, use about a cup of your favorite prepared frosting, melt slightly in the microwave until it’s almost liquidy and then dunk the tops of donuts into the frosting. Top with sprinkles, if desired, and let set until frosting has hardened.
What is the best kind of cake mix for the donuts?
Almost any kind of cake mix works for these easy baked donuts! I used a yellow cake mix, but chocolate, strawberry, german chocolate or funfetti would be just as delicious.
However, I do not advise trying a golden butter or yellow butter cake mix. I tried this the first time I tested these donuts, and because of the butter content, the donuts did not rise well and turned out flat.
What kind of frosting should I use on these cake mix donuts?
Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry makes a decadent topping. You could make your own, but for ease of this recipe, I used a canned frosting.
What can I do with cake mix?
Looking for more easy cake mix recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Blueberry Dump Cake
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Slow Cooker Apple Cinnamon Dump Cake
- Funfetti Cake Batter Shake
Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box (15.25 ounce) yellow cake mix plus ingredients on back of box to prepare
- 1 cup prepared chocolate frosting
- 1 cup prepared vanilla frosting
- Sprinkles for topping if desired
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Spoon mixture into a large ziplock bag and cut tip of bottom corner. Pipe mixture into prepared donut pans, filling just over 3/4 of the way full. Alternatively, spoon batter into each donut cavity.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until donuts are slightly firm and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting, in a medium bowl, melt the chocolate frosting in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or until almost liquid-y. Stir and then dunk the tops of donuts into the frosting and place onto a wire rack or parchment paper. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Repeat this process with the vanilla frosting.
- Donuts will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- See my tips and tricks for making these Cake Mix Donuts above the recipe box.