Garlic Parmesan Gnocchi Pasta with Mushrooms
This Mushroom Gnocchi in a Parmesan Cream Sauce is packed with flavor and makes a delicious 30 minute meal. Tender gnocchi is tossed with the cheesy cream sauce and sprinkled with sautéed mushrooms. Fast, fresh, and easy to make, this will become a new favorite in your dinner rotation!
I kinda, sorta dislike February. Ok, if I’m being brutally honest, January is my least favorite month, followed by February. Why? Because of the cold and snow, of course!
Since I live near Chicago, you can bet that we haven’t seen the last of the brutal temps yet. But, if I’m trying to look on the bright side, February is one month closer to March, which is closer to April, which means that spring is (hopefully) on its way!
See? I’m allll about positive thinking!
February (and January) also symbolizes everything that’s to come this year. Since it’s often cold and dreary around here, it seems like it can be the most boring of months, with everything ahead of us to still look forward to….spring, summer, warm weather, etc.
But, since I’m trying to “warm” up to February, I thought I would start on a positive note by bring you this Mushroom Gnocchi for 30-Minute Thursday!
If you’re new around here, 30 Minute Thursday happens on the first Thursday of every month and is a delicious day where myself and some of my blogging friends share meals that can be made in just 30 minutes! Sounds pretty good, right?
Believe it or not, this was the first time that I made gnocchi! I know, I’ve been living under a rock. But, it’s not the first time that I’ve eaten it. It’s one of my favorite dishes to order out, so I decided it was time for me to make it myself. And let me tell you, this is a meal-time winner!
Ingredients for Mushroom Gnocchi
This easy gnocchi recipe comes together with a few simple ingredients:
- Potato gnocchi
- Unsalted butter
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- All-purpose flour
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Parsley (optional)
How to Make Mushroom Gnocchi
The garlic Parmesan cream sauce is easy to make and oh man is it good! Chicken broth, a touch of heavy cream, flour, and shredded Parmesan cheese is all it takes. The mushrooms add an extra boost of flavor to this dish, making it extra delicious! Oh, mushrooms, how I love thee.
Here are the basic steps to making this skillet mushroom gnocchi:
- Cook gnocchi pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper then saute them until tender, roughly 5-6 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the broth, cream, and flour. Whisk until smooth, then simmer on low for 3-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add gnocchi then stir to combine.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese until thoroughly combined. Remove from heat and add the mushrooms in.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, then serve!
If you’re in need of an easy dinner (and who isn’t!), then grab those ingredients and whip up this flavorful and oh-so easy gnocchi with mushroom sauce!
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock to make this into a vegetarian dish.
- Try different types of mushrooms, such as shiitake or trumpet!
- Switch up the cheese by trying Romano or Asagio instead of Parmesan.
What to Serve with Gnocchi
Not sure what to eat with gnocchi? Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli
- Apple Pecan Salad
- Honey Roasted Carrots
Tips for Making Skillet Gnocchi
- Don’t boil the gnocchi too long. Most package directions say between 3-4 minutes, or until the gnocchi starts to float. If you boil the pasta too long, it becomes mushy.
- Be sure to add the shredded Parmesan cheese when the gnocchi is almost done simmering. If you add it too soon, it’ll end up in clumps, instead of being creamy.
- If the sauce is too thick, add about 1/2 tablespoon-2 tablespoons of additional heavy cream to thin out.
Looking for more quick pasta recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Garlic Parmesan Pasta with Spinach and Mushrooms
- One Pan Chicken and Spinach Gnocchi
- Skillet Gnocchi with Brussels Sprouts
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken Pasta
Mushroom Gnocchi with Parmesan Cream Sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package potato gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces fresh baby bella mushrooms, , sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper, , to taste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish, (if desired)
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and minced garlic. Saute until tender, for about 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chicken broth, heavy cream, and flour. Whisk until smooth.
- Simmer on low for about 3-4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add gnocchi and stir to combine.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese until thoroughly combined. Remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms and stir. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately.