These Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Garlic & Parmesan are creamy, flavorful, and contain just a few simple ingredients. Combing the fresh garlic and Parmesan cheese with red potatoes gives this dish a zesty hint of flavor. Once you try this easy recipe for Thanksgiving (or whenever!), you’ll never go back to the regular way of making them again!
When Thanksgiving starts getting close, I go into full-on side dish mode. Since I don’t host Thanksgiving, I always bring a side dish to my parents’ or in-laws house to share. I usually whip up a green bean casserole, since that’s one of my favorite dishes. But last year, I opted to bring these maple brown sugar glazed carrots instead. And boy, were those a hit!
And ever since I made these Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, my taste buds have been craving them on a weekly basis.
Have you ever made mashed potatoes in a slow cooker before? If not, be prepared to have your mind blown. It’s the easiest and most delicious way to prepare mashed potatoes, without slaving over a hot stove or peeling those spuds until your fingers start to blister.
What Makes These Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Garlic & Parmesan So Great
- They’re so easy to make! Just cook the potatoes in the crockpot, then add the rest of the ingredients and blend.
- These are the best mashed potatoes – creamy and cheesy, with a bit of zip from the garlic
- If you’re hosting a dinner (holiday or otherwise), it frees up a spot on your stove and you can toss everything together and then forget about it for a few hours!
Trust me when I say that these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are just about the best ever.
The texture, the flavor, and ease of making these potatoes are a Thanksgiving (or any-time) must in my book.
- The water and chicken broth don’t need to cover the potatoes in the slow cooker. The steam from the crockpot will help them soften up.
- Reserve a little of the cooking liquid in a small bowl if you need to thin the potatoes a bit after mashing. You can also use milk or Greek yogurt for this purpose.
- For chunkier mashed potatoes, use a potato masher. For creamier mashed potatoes, use an electric hand mixer.
- Switch up the cheese for other yummy flavors! Try asagio, manchego, or even white cheddar!
- Don’t like the tang of Greek yogurt? Use sour cream or a block of cream cheese instead!
- Add in some chopped chives for a bit of color and some extra flavor!
These potatoes are literally the easiest to make. You don’t even have to peel the potatoes, just dice them up and toss them into your slow cooker. I love the texture of skins in my mashed potatoes, but if you don’t like that, feel free to peel the potatoes.
Once these Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes are ready, be prepared to be wowed.
These are the creamiest, tastiest, and easiest dish to whip up! The Parmesan cheese melts into the warm potatoes, while the garlic gives it the perfect amount of flavor. And talk about creamy! These mashed potatoes are so creamy and so delicious that you might just end up eating the entire bowl all by yourself.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Garlic & Parmesan
- Add the potatoes to the slow cooker.
- Pour the water and chicken broth over the potatoes, then cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 5 to 6 hours, until potatoes are fully tender.
- When potatoes are ready, drain the liquid.
- Add in the butter, greek yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese. Using a potato masher or electric hand mixer, mix until the potatoes have reached your desired consistency. If needed, milk and/or more Greek yogurt can be added to thin them a bit.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
So if you’re still deciding on your Thanksgiving side dish or want to free up some oven space, then these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes were made for you!
Looking for more side dish recipes? I’ve got you covered!
And don’t forget to check out my list of 30+ Easy Thanksgiving Side Dishes!
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes with Garlic & Parmesan
- 3 pounds red potatoes washed and cut into chunks, see note below
- 1 cup water
- ½ cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons milk if needed
- Add potatoes to slow cooker.
- Pour water and chicken broth over potatoes. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours or on low, 5-6 hours, or until potatoes are tender. When potatoes are ready, drain liquid.
- Add in butter, Greek yogurt, garlic, salt, pepper, and cheese. Using a potato masher or electric hand mixer, mix until potatoes have reached your desired consistency. If needed, milk and/or more Greek yogurt can be added.
- Serve immediately.
- Potatoes can be peeled if you prefer not to have the skins in your mashed potatoes.