This Tomato Basil Pasta with Italian Sausage is an easy, one pan meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Filled with tender pasta, Italian sausage, and tossed in a simple tomato basil sauce, this dish is ready in less than 30 minutes and will become a new dinnertime favorite!
If you’ve been hanging around here long enough, then you know that easy meals are the name of my game.
In fact, I created Pumpkin ‘N Spice specifically for simple recipes of all sorts, from appetizer to main dishes to desserts and drinks. Who has the time or the energy to slave away in the kitchen when life is so busy? Sure, there are those occasions and dishes where you want to dedicate more time to them, such as a layered cake or homemade lasagna.
But, for the most part, easy-peasy is what happens on this little corner of the internet. Geared towards families, working adults, parents, or for those that don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen, these recipes were made for you in mind!
This tomato basil pasta with Italian sausage is an easy, one pan meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Filled with tender pasta, Italian sausage, and tossed in a simple tomato basil sauce, this dish is ready in less than 30 minutes and will become a new dinnertime favorite!
Remember, I’m all about the easy dishes and I promised you a while ago that I would have some hearty comfort dishes come fall. Well, that time is now, friends!
This Italian sausage pasta not only comes together quickly, but it also tastes (and looks) like a meal that took hours to prepare. Which means this is great to serve for your family or for when those hungry dinner guests arrive.
And because this is a one pan meal, that means less dishes and less clean-up. That’s always a winner in my book, friends!
Tomato Basil Pasta Ingredients
This Italian sausage pasta skillet can be whipped up at a moment’s notice using ingredients you likely have in your pantry already. Here’s what you’ll need to make this tomato basil pasta:
- Mild Italian sausage
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Penne pasta
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese
How to Make Tomato Basil Pasta
- Crumble and brown the Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the sausage is cooked, add in some minced garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add some chicken broth, diced tomatoes, seasonings, and the pasta to the skillet.
- Stir everything together, bring to a boil, and then turn down the heat and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- Remove the skillet from heat, add in some fresh basil and shaved Parmesan, and your dinner is ready to be devoured!
The flavorful Italian sausage, combined with the tender pasta, basil and tomatoes makes the most delicious flavor explosion that everyone will enjoy. Simple, fast, and bursting with flavor, you’ll be making this tomato and basil pasta over and over again!
Can I Use Another Type of Ground Meat?
Of course! I used mild Italian sausage in this tomato and basil pasta, but you’re welcome to use ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork instead. Just keep in mind that Italian sausage has tons of spices in it, so you may need to add additional salt, pepper, and / or herbs to this tomato basil pasta if you skip the sausage.
Can I Add Extra Veggies?
If you have the time and desire to chop them up, of course! I bet diced onion, bell pepper, or zucchini would be a great addition to this Italian sausage and pasta recipe.
Tips for Making Tomato Basil Pasta
I used penne pasta in this Italian sausage pasta skillet, but any short, sturdy pasta will work.
Please note that you add the pasta to the skillet uncooked. It cooks in the skillet with the tomatoes, sausage, and water and soaks up all the flavors of the dish.
This Italian sausage penne pasta makes wonderful leftovers. I recommend reheating it gently on the stove. You may need to add a splash of chicken broth if the pasta seems dry.
Looking for more easy pasta recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Chili with Pasta
- Pepperoni Pizza Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Creamy Sausage and Mushroom Rigatoni
- Basil Pesto Pasta with Broccoli and Mushrooms
- Creamy Ground Beef Pasta
Tomato Basil Pasta with Italian Sausage
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes , undrained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil , for topping
- Shaved Parmesan cheese , for topping
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and crumble and brown until no longer pink. Add minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- To the skillet, add chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes, dried basil, salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder, and penne pasta.
- Stir, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until pasta is tender, stirring halfway.
- Remove from heat, stir, and sprinkle with fresh basil and shaved Parmesan, if desired. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- I used penne pasta in this Italian sausage pasta skillet, but any short, sturdy pasta will work.
- Please note that you add the pasta to the skillet uncooked. It cooks in the skillet with the tomatoes, sausage, and water and soaks up all the flavors of the dish.