This Parmesan Basil Shrimp and Rice is packed with tender shrimp and fluffy white rice, enveloped with a Parmesan and basil cream sauce. It’s easy to make and ready in less than 20 minutes!
Parmesan Basil Shrimp and Rice
It seems I have trouble creating a dish that does not include Parmesan or garlic.
Do you blame me? I throw garlic in practically everything dish that I cook. And cheese? Well, that’s a necessity, too. If I’m not using mozzarella, most likely I’ll add in some Parmesan. What can I say? It’s the name of my game and I’m not one bit sorry.
So for today’s recipe, I decided to add in a twist with some Parmesan and basil. Yes, I did still include garlic, but basil took over as the star of the show for today. Along with Parmesan, of course.
And since I’m all about the easy recipes here at Pumpkin ‘N Spice, this Parmesan Basil Shrimp and Rice would make a delicious addition to your weeknight dinner rotation.
The hubster and I love any type of seafood, and whenever we want a quick dinner, we often turn to salmon or shrimp. And since it’s been a while since I prepared a rice dish, I thought the combination of a creamy, zesty sauce would pair perfectly with some shrimp.
What’s Needed for Shrimp and Rice?
This garlic Parmesan shrimp and rice dish comes together quickly with minimal ingredients:
- White rice
- Unsalted butter
- Shredded Parmesan
- Fresh basil
How to Make Parmesan Shrimp and Rice
To start, you’ll want to prepare the rice according to the package directions and then set aside. Then, you’ll melt some butter in a large skillet, sauté some garlic, and then add in the shrimp. Once the shrimp is opaque and heated through, it’s time to stir in the rice.
Then comes the fun part, the Parmesan basil cream sauce! You’ll add in the shredded Parmesan cheese, fresh basil, salt, pepper and milk. Give it a stir and heat until creamy and warm.
And that’s it! This Parmesan Basil Shrimp and Rice is ready to be devoured! With hardly any prep work and just a few simple ingredients, you can have this dish on your dinner table in no time. And I guarantee you’ll love it just as much as I do!
Can I Use Brown Rice?
I’m sure you could! However, brown rice takes longer to cook than white rice, so be sure to factor that in when making this shrimp and rice recipe.
Can I Use Another Type of Milk?
Of course! Any type of milk (or heavy cream) will work here. If using non-dairy milk, make sure it’s unsweetened.
Tips for Making Parmesan Shrimp and Rice
- Be sure to buy shrimp that’s already been peeled and deveined to save you prep time.
- If buying frozen shrimp, you’ll need to get raw shrimp rather than pre-cooked.
- For the best flavor, buy a block of Parmesan and shred it yourself. Trust me, it makes a difference!
Looking for more seafood recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Cilantro Lime Popcorn Shrimp Tacos
- Tilapia with Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Grilled Haddock Sandwich
- Honey Garlic Salmon Quinoa Bowl
- Sheet Pan Garlic Herb Salmon & Potatoes
Parmesan Basil Shrimp and Rice
- 1½ cups dry white rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup milk or heavy cream
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through and pink. Stir in rice and mix well.
- Add Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper and milk to shrimp. Stir until rice thickens and becomes creamy.
- Remove from heat and garnish with additional basil, if desired. Serve immediately.
Photos updated 1/25/2021