Baked Caprese Chicken
Baked Caprese Chicken is simple, flavorful, and ready in just 30 minutes. Chicken is topped with zesty seasonings, fresh mozzarella, and juicy tomatoes. Garnish with a balsamic glaze and fresh basil for a deliciously easy meal!
Baked Caprese Chicken
Easy dinner recipes don’t get much simper (or delicious) than this baked caprese chicken recipe.
The flavors are fresh (hello, summer!) and the chicken requires just a handful of ingredients. And just in case you’re like me and always have a tomato (or five) lying around your kitchen, this chicken caprese recipe was made for you.
There’s just something about the combination of tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese that has me coming back for more.
This dinner really is the best caprese chicken recipe. Tender chicken is baked until golden and then topped with fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes, melty mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves. Mmm mmm good! And ready in just 30 minutes!
What is Caprese?
It’s of Italian origin and typically means a salad of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. There are many variations of caprese recipes, including version with fruit and other vegetables.
Ingredients for Caprese Chicken
The ingredients list for this caprese chicken breast recipe is fresh and simple:
- Chicken: I used thinly sliced chicken breasts for this recipe, but regular chicken breasts, tenderloins, or thighs would work. Remember that cooking times will vary based on the cut of chicken.
- Seasonings: a simple blend of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Fresh mozzarella: it’s a must in this recipe! Skip the deli-style sliced cheese and buy the fresh kind that comes in a package. It’s thick, tasty, and perfect for this chicken recipe.
- Tomatoes: while any tomato will work, I like to use vine-ripened tomatoes when cooking. It tastes slightly fresher than a roma or cherry tomato.
- Fresh basil: another must! While you can use dried basil leaves if you’re short on time (or don’t have the fresh kind on hand), fresh basil really gives this dish so much flavorful.
- Balsamic glaze: I use a store-bought glaze that you can find near the vinegar in your grocery store. It’s fast, convenient, and tastes delicious! However, you could make your own balsamic reduction or even use a balsamic dressing.
How to Make Baked Caprese Chicken
I love that this recipe takes just 5 minutes to prep and that it’s on the table in under 30 minutes. Here’s an overview of how the recipe comes together:
- To start, line a large baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken onto the prepared pan. Lightly brush with olive oil and then sprinkle with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake chicken until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165F. Remove from oven and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melty.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves and a balsamic glaze.
How to store baked chicken breasts
Let chicken come to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
What to Serve with Caprese Chicken
Keep the sides as simple as you’d like. Some of my favorite sides to serve with this baked caprese chicken include:
- Shaved asparagus salad
- Garlic parmesan smashed potatoes
- Roasted mushrooms
- Garlic bread
- Roasted lemon asparagus
Tips for Making Balsamic Caprese Chicken
- I used chicken breasts, but thinly sliced breasts, tenderloins, or thighs work, too. Just note that cooking times will vary.
- Make sure to buy fresh mozzarella that’s packed in water, not pre-shredded or sliced mozzarella.
- I prefer using vine-ripened tomatoes for this recipe because they’re juicier and more flavorful.
Looking for more easy chicken dinners? I’ve got you covered!
You can find all of my 30-minute recipes here. Below are some of my favorite quick chicken dinners:
- One Pan Chicken and Garlic Parmesan Rice
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- One Pan Chicken and Spinach Gnocchi
Baked Caprese Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, (about 4 ounces, or more if you like extra cheese)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Balsamic glaze for garnish, (I used a store-bought glaze)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Place chicken onto prepared pan in an even layer and lightly brush with olive oil. Then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into center of chicken reads 165°F.
- Remove from oven and place one slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast, followed by one (or two) slices of tomato. Return to oven and cook until cheese is melty, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil leave and balsamic glaze.
- A note about the chicken: thinly sliced breasts, tenderloins, or thighs work, too, but cooking times will vary.
- Chicken will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Baked Caprese Chicken above the recipe box.