Baked Caprese Chicken is simple, flavorful, and ready in just 30 minutes. Chicken is topped with zesty seasonings, fresh mozzarella, and juicy tomatoes. Garnish with a balsamic glaze and fresh basil for a deliciously easy meal!
Baked Caprese Chicken
Easy dinner recipes don’t get much simper (or delicious) than this baked caprese chicken recipe.
The flavors are fresh (hello, summer!) and the chicken requires just a handful of ingredients. And just incase you’re like me and always have a tomato (or five) lying around your kitchen, this chicken caprese recipe was made for you.
There’s just something about the combination of tomatoes, fresh basil, and mozzarella cheese that has me coming back for more.
This dinner really is the best caprese chicken recipe. Tender chicken is baked until golden and then topped with fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes, melty mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves. Mmm mmm good! And ready in just 30 minutes!
What is Caprese?
It’s of Italian origin and typically means a salad of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. There are many variations of caprese recipes, including version with fruit and other vegetables.
Ingredients for Caprese Chicken:
- Chicken: I used thinly sliced chicken breasts for this recipe, but regular chicken breasts, tenderloins, or thighs would work. Remember that cooking times will vary based on the cut of chicken.
- Seasonings: a simple blend of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Fresh mozzarella: it’s a must in this recipe! Skip the deli-style sliced cheese and buy the fresh kind that comes in a package. It’s thick, tasty, and perfect for this chicken recipe.
- Tomatoes: while any tomato will work, I like to use vine-ripened tomatoes when cooking. It tastes slightly fresher than a roma or cherry tomato.
- Fresh basil: another must! While you can use dried basil leaves if you’re short on time (or don’t have the fresh kind on hand), fresh basil really gives this dish so much flavorful.
- Balsamic glaze: I use a store-bought glaze that you can find near the vinegar in your grocery store. It’s fast, convenient, and tastes delicious! However, you could make your own balsamic reduction or even use a balsamic dressing.
How to make Baked Caprese Chicken:
- To start, line a large baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken onto the prepared pan. Lightly brush with olive oil and then sprinkle with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake chicken until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165F. Remove from oven and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melty.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil leaves and a balsamic glaze.
What should I serve with Caprese Chicken?
How to store baked chicken breasts:
Let chicken come to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Looking for more easy chicken recipes? I’ve got you covered!
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Salsa Chicken
- One Pan Chicken and Spinach Gnocchi
Baked Caprese Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts thinly sliced breasts, tenderloins, or thighs work, too, but cooking times will vary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces, or more if you like extra cheese)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes sliced
- Fresh basil leaves chopped
- Balsamic glaze for garnish I used a store-bought glaze
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Place chicken onto prepared pan in an even layer and lightly brush with olive oil. Then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into center of chicken reads 165°F. Remove from oven and place one slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each chicken breast, followed by one (or two) slices of tomato. Return to oven and cook until cheese is melty, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh basil leave and balsamic glaze.
- Chicken will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- See my tips and tricks for making this Baked Caprese Chicken above the recipe box.